Monday, May 22, 2006

People keep saying singapore is boring...

I think its quite sad, that everyone else in the world, including ourselves think Singapore is such a boring place. There is hardly anything for me to defend it with.
"Please, not sentosa again. "

Desmond's boss fly in from singapore. He didnt realise i was from singapore i think. So when asked how he thought sg was, he paused, thot very hard and all he could say was "nice". I could see he was struggling to find a right descriptive word.

We asked him what he did and he said someone brought him to Raffles hotel, and "tallest building" asia grill bar at swissotel. I was thinking, OH MY GOODNESS, is there all we can offer????

As luck would have it, a table behind us, an animated american pair of male business men was talking about their business trip recently. I overhead the guy said "oh i just came back from singapore. Ghees that place is SOOO BORING. There is nothing there. Just Boring"

I was feeling aliitle indignant. Then again, he is almost right. What can i say? Compare to HK, we are like plain congee next to a bubbling pot of steaming hotpot with variety of seafood!

I feel sad that there is nothing worthwhile in sg to mention. Nothing. Forget abt the damn IR. Where the hell is our character, the vibrance, the brillance??? None. Sad to admit. Its a nice country to settle in, live in, but not a tourist place.

We are just too clean, too eager to be modern, that we have lost our essence of our own character. Look at china town, its the fakest chinatown i have ever seen around the world. Even I WONT GO THERE, least of all visitors.

So sad....

Towards the end, desmond's boss realised i was from singapore. he keep adding "oh its a nice place" I smiled, trying to be nice too. I am afterall an unofficial "ambassador" of my lion city.

No comments: