Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Another singaporean stranger

I feel like I am in the eye of a cyclone. One bad move and I will be swept into a horrific mess and being flung a thousand miles away. Sigh

Anycase, had quick dinner at local hangout (Yun Qi). A lady came to sit opposite me to share table (common in HK). I was almost not paying attention to her until i heard her trying to order her dinner in English. She looked like a singaporean and she could obviously not understand nor speak cantonese. Not wanting to leave her in a lurch, i asked her in english what she wanted with prawns. The look of relief on her face, brought back familiar feeling! haaa haa

So I helped her order to the delight of both her and the waitress who couldnt speak english. We exchanged info and she was with citigroup doing her biz trip. She apparently decide to venture out on her own without her local colleagues.

We chatted for a while more and then i made my move. It's nice to see a fellow-woman back from home. but i'm getting use to HK and it doesnt really has that sort of impact for me like "OH GOD finally someone can speak english to me!":)

Desmond also started to converse with me in cantonese rather than english since he realise i could understand him and reply a little back in cantonese. Hopefully my cantonese will improve soon!

No comments: