Friday, September 24, 2010

Crap! I got the word wrong!

OMG...To my dismay, I have finally discovered a noun that I had the pronunciation wrong in my head all these years!! Sigh...I knew the eventual flaw of having Singlish teachers in the couple of years will bound to catch up with me one day...

The worse of it all. It is such a blatant simple short word. Utterly clueless how I had not discover my mistake earlier till last night thanks to the current conflict between China and Japan over the stupid jurisdiction of that useless island surrounded by dollar spinning natural resources...

All this while, I didnt realise "row" had different pronunciation despite that I had known the varying meanings. It wasnt until I heard the news anchor that I realise my mistake for "row" when it comes to the meaning for "quarrel"..How embarrassing... I hate to think how many more simple words out there that will sneak up to haunt me later down the road! *shudders*

3 comments:

BarryO said...

Adding to the pain is ROE, pronounced the same as ROW. I'll let you figure it out which one :-)

Nomad said...

Oh com'on Barry!! I aint THAAAAt Bad!!!!

BarryO said...

A few months back, while on a bus, a HK`er was sitting next to me reading an English picture book to his son.

"The cow goes moo"
"The duck goes quack"

All was going well until the horse page and I`ll put this down to accent but it didn`t go "Neigh"

I was tempted to correct him but I thought better.