Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Zettai Kareshi

On another note, been following Japanese Drama and I am amused that the production station has adopted "Zettai Kareshi" (Absolute boyfriend - 絶対彼氏) from Manga to TV series!

The manga's theme is only suited for mature audience but one can safetly assume that the script writers would have tone it down and make it viewable by all audience. Anycase for starters, they have already made subtle changes to the story from a high school student to a working professional.


"Night Tenjo" (the Absolute boyfriend) is kinda cute in manga, so its hard to imagine a real person playing that role. Oh well, looking forward to it being sub and uploaded soon!

After watching all the Japanese drama, I am constantly amazed at how Japanese guys seem to be able to get away looking cool with slight permed hair locks. Chinese guys just look plain weird. Even the most fashionable Taiwanese guy still looks biazzare with permed hair. Of course my husband being typical old school male thinks the Japanese boys look sissy and spend way too much time on their appearance (esp those who pluck their eye brows) but I am straying here...

I am just intriged at how some (even guys on the streets) can look so good in those dyed wavy curls. Is it their features or just the stylist? Has to be the features i think...

Anycase, to watch the first episode of Zettai Kareshi with english subtitles here. Thank you its finally out!! Yahhoooo!

8 comments:

dreams come true said...

Hello! Maybe it's the range of male products available for them here! Also the easy access to styling magazines without feeling any guilt for being vain?? hehe. Anyway, you should see the men above 40 here - they not only look bad (balding, bulging stomach, oily complexion), but SMELL bad. I know because my five body senses are constantly reminded of their presence on the trains when I'm trapped by the rising middle aged generation!!!! HELP.....

Nomad said...

haaa haaa I think you are absoleutely right. There is no social pressure or restrictions for them to feel its abnormal for guys to be so appearance conscious. やあ! I was laughing so hard when you reminded me of the other side of reality of the smelly balding old man!Wonder what happen to all the good looking ones???? Wish i could help!!!! I rem seeing a lot of good looking ones in roppongi and the city area last time... maybe they all took cabs coz the guys are to vain to squeeze in trains?! :P

dreams come true said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dreams come true said...

No, there isn't. Rather it's weird for young guys here not to be conscious of their appearance, as they'll be teased by their friends for being ださい. I've teased a Japanese guy friend a few times for shaving his eyebrows, and he kept protesting that it's normal here! haha. Erm, I don't know..maybe I'm so disgusted by the invasion of ugly & smelly old men on the trains to be noticing the well-groomed young male species!

Nomad said...

labelled as "ださい"!?

なるほど。しらないな。。。the part you reminded me of the "shaved eyebrow"! I have to agree their eyebrows are かんぺき!! Its amazing isnt it! The jap guys Makes me feel like a "loser" as a girl! haa haaa.

U know, strangely the last time I was in tokyo where i missed you, i did see a few good looking guys on the train but that was eve time, and i saw more おばさん than oji-san... and i was still thinking woman must be outliving the man here in japan!

dreams come true said...

Was it a weekend? You'll see more ojisans on weekdays because they form the majority of the salarymen workforce. And whatever means you take, it's best to avoid them on a Friday night because they stink of booze, cigarettes & yakiniku! Unfortunately, I can't afford taxis here. :(

Nomad said...

i cannot rem if it was weekend... haa haa i can sense your "deseperation" of being squeezed with the ojisans.... but hey, isnt there a female only cabin that you can use?

dreams come true said...

Yah, but only at certain times, meaning the early morning trains and the last train at night. And there's only one car. If there's a chance, I always try to get my butt in there! Getting the trains in Tokyo is a workout in itself, but it isn't a good workout - one that leaves you feeling tired, sweaty, smelly & frustrated! Being in a huge country with a low population density in Oz is good!! うらやましいよ。