Monday, January 5, 2009

Shopping!

I love shopping in HK. The sale is incredile and the amount of savings u get is truly great. Not like those skanky pretentious retail sale in Singapore in the past. (I say in the past because I have not gone to a Great Singapore Sale for the last 5 years. )

Not only are they more brands in Hong Kong to choose from, the common sizes are never "sorry out of stock" (so common in sg..makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with their inventory system) when it comes to sale time. Of course it will happens if its a super popular design but mostly, they always mostly have your size.

I have been hunting for high boots for the longest time now. My 2 old pairs from Aerosoles that have lasted me for 4 years have gone bust. I have milked enough penny from each pair that cost me about SG$150 each. In Japan, I saw a few but I didnt want to pay that much and Japanese have such small feet! So I spend hours just popping in and out of different stores in Times Square and almost no luck. The new designs in Aerosoles looked pretty tacky.

As luck would have it, I stepped into my fav store Max&Co and Tada!!!!!! I found the brown boots that fit me perfectly, not to mention comfortable. Max Mara stores never let me down. With more luck, they were on 50% discount. So that brings them to about SG$200. Just 50 bucks more than my old pair and this is real leather. So I went home absolutely delighted with my 2 pairs of boots, 2 skirts and a cashmere top, with everything at 50% off...what a deal!

Then there was a store - Uniqlo, I have never been until I brought my brother and sisterinlaw there looking for warm wear for the kids. To my surprise, the place is pretty well stock with winter warm clothes with all sort of clolours and BEST, in CLASSIC SIMPLE design. I hate all those street wear designs out in the retail malls. So this place rules in my shopping list book. Clean cut, practical materials at reasonable price! The cashmere top were on sale at HK$499 each instead of HK$699, so I grabbed 2. The warm sleeping outfit set were at HK$199 and i snapped 2 of them as well. They were absolutely warm and snug and my partner was jealous at how comfy i am.

As I strolled to Timberland at Sogo at CWB, I was surprised that they had sale on some items that were not offered in other outlets. It was their last day of sale and I couldnt resist getting myself another pair of boots. Yeah.... I know, I'm boots crazy. I wondered for a min what I am gonna do with all these boots and cashmere wear when I return to sg since they are lacking in seasonal fashion. The people will prob think I am a freak if I ever wear them. Then again, do i care. Nope!! Haa haaa.

Rem my last ski experience and nearly slipping from the slippery roads, I decided to head to Columbia to get a pair of shoes that has grip. There was 10% off for HSBC customers and since I didnt have my card with me, I offered to reserve and come back later. The sales guy said rather than having me make 2 trips, they gave me the discount on the spot anycase wihtout the need to produce the card. I doubt this flexibility will ever occur in singapore. Hell this is HK, shopping paradise!!!!

11 comments:

littlecartnoodles said...

Another example of flexibility is that, at many places, if you are entitled to some form of VIP discount but did not bring your card, you can simply quote your card or mobile phone number.

Of course, this means that people "borrow" their friends' VIP card numbers all of the time, to get the discounts. But hey, if it means more business the establishments typically do not insist on you producing the card ...

An exception is the agnes b chocolate counter at IFC Mall. My wife's cousin had given me the number of her VIP card but the salesgirl politely insisted on seeing the card.

I guess my cover was blown when I claimed that it was my girlfriend's VIP card number ... with my wedding band in full view.

littlecartnoodles said...

And may I add, "Doh !!!"

Nomad said...

Oh i didnt mention the MORE impt flexibilty in the same store...

PART 2 of flexbility in discount.

After my partner saw my shoes, he wanted to buy it. I was feeling bang because 2nd pair of shoe would have entitled me to 20%! So i thought I would try my luck and we went back to the store and my husband did find a pair of shoe he liked. The guy recognised me and he also felt "wasted" for me. So he actually voluteer to check with his supervisor and he got he 20% discount for me for the 2nd pair even though it is not teh same transaction! Of course i cannot get the 20% off my first pair but the fact he initiated the discount for 2nd pair was good enough. It made me soo happy to shop there and more willing to consider buying other stuff. In singapore, they will think i am CHEAPSKATE if i even think of asking the possibility, least of all INITIATING the discount offer!

Nomad said...

Yes yes I agree with u! No need card, just number will do (although i have to keep tracking all my HK numbers everytime i change and it takes 3 months for update to process.... that is abit slow)

I guess their idea is, discount offer is better than no business at all esp in this econ climate!

wah u actually buy the agnes b chocolate!!!!!! I only buy clothes and tried their restaurant but never the choc... is it any good?

dreams come true said...

hey, did you know that Uniqlo's from Japan? it's pretty cheap here.

Nomad said...

yes yes! I saw the packaging and models are all Japanese!!! I didnt see uniqlo in Japan though... i wonder if its much more expensive in Hk compared to Japan?

I wanted to kill myself after my Japan trip.... so bang after i saw the price when i return to Hk for a shampoo..sigh... post more later

dreams come true said...

it's in a lot of places - best to check out its web site on the location of the stores.

the prices are kinda like those in Giordano.

littlecartnoodles said...

I did not try the chocs as I had bought them for my wife's company Xmas gift exchange.

The cheapest box (containing maybe 9 pralines ?) was HK$135 ...

Nomad said...

WAH!!! branded choc gift exchange!!! Pretty ex if i consider its about SG$3each...is it french or belgium praline?

Actually i am always thinking of trying the Jean Hevin Choc in Times square, but somehow didnt feel like forking out so much for it... they looked so good in tokyo and they are HUGE lines for it but the store is always empty in HK. Have u tried it?

littlecartnoodles said...

Don't care lah. I'm perfectly happy with Cadbury bars. No need branded chocs. I work for a European company and there're always boxes of Swiss or Belgian chocs in the office from visiting colleagues.

Is the hippest choc shop in HK nowadays Maison du Chocolat at Pacific Place ? The one with the orange boxes, a la Hermes.

Did you read about the HK$100m recent wedding of Michelle Reis 李嘉欣 ? One of her table gifts was a box of 9 pralines costing HK$100 each. Siao eh !!! She'd better be worth it !!!

Nomad said...

oh u lucky thing.... free chocs@ work. But I have to admit, if you ever get the really GOOOOOD swiss dark choc, you will forever rem them and everything else like cadbury will taste a little fake...

Is the hippest choc shop in HK nowadays Maison du Chocolat at Pacific Place ? The one with the orange boxes, a la Hermes.

What?!! Michelle Reis 李嘉欣 gift of9 pralines box costing HK$100 each. You are right about Siao eh !!! Then again, these people have too much cash to burn....so You bet she will try her best to make it worth it, afterall it was rumoured she has been hankering for decades to marry a rich man apparently.