Tuesday, January 12, 2010

HK Food Review: Tenzen Japanese

The Japanese ISE restaurant I used to frequent in the past had sadly closed down some time back. However, one of the girls who used to work there called me up and told me about this new Japanese Tenzen place @ causeway bay, Jardine road, Jardine center (天膳:銅鑼灣渣甸街50號渣甸中心12樓 -map, Tel: 2882 2107) that I could try.

So on good faith, I went in the early days after they started business. It was good but I wanted to be sure and after a couple months after they settled down, they have proven to be consistent in their quality and standard. Hence this is definitely a Japanese food place I would recommend to Japanese cooked dish food lover. Food is good, service is attentive.

The current chef at Tenzen had previously worked for many years at Kenjo Restaurant at Minden road(見城日本料理: 尖沙咀棉登徑30號地下) . I had tried Kenjo before and it was a good dining spot though a little on the pricey end with a small menu.

The place isnt big and doesnt fit many tables, so advance reservation is recommended for lunch. Their set menu is reasonably priced within Hk$100-150 range depending on what you order. I love my grilled cod fish and it was done to perfection each time. Because I am on relative good terms with the serving staff, I was able to feedback about the cod fish needing to be a little sweeter. She said she would reflect it to the chef. I didnt expect them to rem, and I certainly had forgotten about my feedback. About a month later when I returned after all the long hols, the same waitress asked me if this varied version of cod fish was better this time and sweeter? I was a little puzzled until moments later I rem my feedback before. This is truly a place who strive to improve their quality of food!

I had their sushi and it was certainly fresh. All the dishes I had as far, I certainly had been pleased and satisfied, thus postively assuring my return visits! One of the few dishes I like is the grated raddish with eggplant, and the grilled beef slices. I have yet to sample everything but everything I had tried had not disappoint. The latest seasonal special was this raddish wrapped with chicken meat ball starter, served with bamboo shoots (my fav!). It is light and healthy, not to mention visually delightful!

Thought I would share a pix of it, with a quarter of the raddish peeled open to display the hidden "content".

No comments: