Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gasps... I really dont need those...

How does one turn down gestures of good intentions? Apparently pretty hard for me.

Invited my Korean friend over for lunch today. Since it was relatively early before the food places began lunch operations, I got him to pop over to meet me at my place first. I had a shock when I saw him waiting at the reception lobby. He had like a HUGe Grocery bag, as well as a huge rolly of toilet rolls. I didnt know how to react since its like 10am, and I have no idea why he had that dozen roll of toilet paper with him. I must have looked pretty silly with my jaw dropping wide open.

As we entered the lift, he explained those stuff are for me. This is truly one of those rare "catching me totally off guard" moments. Usually, nothing really stun me into involuntary speechlessness but this sure did. When I recovered, I kinda stumbled out "why" while a million possibilities flash thru my brain.

He explained it was Korean custom to offer toilet rolls, tissue paper, showering stuff, hand detergents etc etc. This is to ward off bad luck for new place. Considerin my brain just simply doesnt work well in the morning, I kinda just stare at the toilet rolls and unconsciously said outloud "Oh but I really dont need those stuff because they are all provided for by the service apartment..." ooopsss...Aaaaaawkward...

Frankly I was torn between appreciation and loss. I appreciate the kind thoughts, but I dont use any of the stuff he had bought. As I stare at the things he offload, I was mentally trying to talk myself out of being such an ingrate. But the thoughts just went like this:
" Sorry, apart from baby milk bath, I just dont use most of retail shower stuff, esp not Pamolive shower gel. I'm a brat, I like my "decadent" stuff for the last 20 years. Body shop's fruity bath gel (esp with the save the bottle, buy refill scheme) had spoilt me rotten since I was in school and I have sooo move on to bigger brands.... Then toilet roll...hmmm...not the brand my arse likes because this "super soft" brand leaves "paper bits" stuck in my crackie...I like my 3-4ply roll...SHIT, where do I find space to store this 12 rolls?!!!! As for hand gel, darn, I hated the one he got me because it dries out my hand since I have sensitive skin... I only use two particular brand now...

Of course i didnt actually voice out those thoughts. I kinda accepted the "stuff" even when my inner demon was screaming at myself to ask him to take back some of the stuff since he had better use. However, the asian upbringing of mine vanquish all negating thoughts and thanked my guest politely. I'm not faking it, I do appreciate his thoughts though a nagging whisper was like "My good man, this isnt my house for starters and one surely has to pick the right time and place for observing culture right?" Sigh...I know I know... I am coming off sounding like a jack arse. It's just I hate unnecessary things, especially wasting things...Will it be mean to re-give the things away? Such conflicting emotions....

Well, the day ended pretty early since we were both tired. He was kept up by his partner's snores while mine...sigh..another long story saved for another tea session...

No comments: