Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Overpriced Ginger????

How can Ginger costs so much in Sydney?!!! Its bordering on ridiculous!!!

The peak price for the whole week has been A$25/kg. Can u imagine shelving out so much for ginger? I had thought it was already very expensive at A$17/kg when I had first arrived!

When i stood infront of the produce, shellshock beyond words, 2 local Ozzie ladies commented on the price as well. Even THEY were astounded. I overheard them saying that it was going for A$13/kg at woolworths, which immediately my ear pricked up and my brain went whirling into motion.

I couldnt resist stopping one of the staff to query about the expensive price. His reply "Its demand and supply and everyone just wants Australian produce." I told him that its crazy, ginger isnt luxury good, its a staple food produce. Demand do not suddenly drop because people cook everyday, we have chef demanding it everyday. So if there is a constant flow of demand, how could there be such bad planning of crops that there wont be enough supply? I told him I reckon it will be cheaper if i had gone out and import crates of ginger from overseas like malaysia to Australia. He shrugged his shoulders and I dont him responsible since he wasnt in charge of pricing. I just thought someone should shed some light on A$25/kg for goddarn ginger!

I made the effort, took a train to bondi and check out woolworth and indeed, it was $12/kg. I didnt stop to look at the sign if its from china. I figure a few week plus of china ginger should not kill me even if it has toxic chemicals in them.

At the rate this goes, its no wonder china's price is wiping out the world's farming prices. A packet of 12 garlic from China cost A$2, but ONE GARLIC ALONE from Mexico cost me A$1.70.

It is without wonder that Stan and I said to each other and agreed, "Its a wonder how people can live in here (sydney) when everything is so expensive..."

2 comments:

littlecartnoodles said...

Yes, it's so ridiculous. Did you know that pork prices in HK have gone up by 70% over the past few months ?

There are so many economic and climate factors in play. Food price rises have been blamed on poor harvests due to global warming, farmers switching to more lucrative crops for the biofuels industry, strong demand from China/India ... ...

When you were living in HK, did the fruit prices at Wellcome/PnS ever make you gasp ? Last weekend, I bought some plums at HK$5 (S$0.93) each ...

Nomad said...

OMG really?!! I use to only pay HK$30 for a good bag of pork ribs for a BIG pot of soup (serving 5big bowls) Meat in Hk is already not very cheap previously and it has gone up by 70%?!!!!

Ha haa when i was living in HK, I never buy fresh produce from Park and Shop nor wellcome because they looked really grotty for the shops near my place.Plus i didnt trust CHina produce, so i had to buy everything perishable from CitySuper Only. On average, each trip cost me $400 on groceries every other day...

If it is of any comfort, I just bought 3 plums today, at A$1.20EACH and that's considered a bargain. Lychee cost me A$20/kg 2 weeks back and its down to $10 today.

Sigh. Yeah, I agree with u on the Factors... i dread to think how much worse it will become...