Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dinner at Pello (Sydney)


Tried another new restaurant last weekend. Went to "Pello" (http://www.pello.com.au/) for a sat dinner. Decided to give it a try as it has one chef hat and it wasnt too far away from where I lived. Though technically, it is much closer to where stan is.

Parking is horrendous for starters even though it was late dinner at 8.30pm. So if you ever think about it, either head for early dinner or just grab a cab.



I went in without expectations, and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. It was a cold night and since I didnt specify I wanted a seat inside, I was left with the seat closest to the main door near the bar area as it was a fully booked night. It was an okay seat except it can get a bit chilly when people go thru the main door and the wind gets in.


The service was ok, polite and they dun really ask for feedback on the food either. However, food came promptly and while the menu description looks bland and uninteresting, the food presentation is completely the opposite. Much thought is put into presentation and certaintly I was delighted with my first mouthful.

For entree, I had the "crisp pork belly, chestnut custard, apple and a liquorice powder" (A$22). The meat was nicely done but i thought it was kinda bland and there wasnt enough apple bits and sauce to enhance the flavour. For main, I decided to go for the "herb crusted snapper, braised octopus and globe artichokes, saffron opting out on the gnocchi" (A$34). My companion opted for the prosciutto wrapped veal loin, borlotti beans, Jerusalem artichoke puree and caramelised sweetbread.



Both The Main was excellent! My fish was sweet, the herb crust looked absolutely yummy and crunchy to bite. As i opted out on gnocchi, i was rewarded with extra braised optopus and I didnt regret it one bit with my choice.

The best of the night and highlight for me was the dessert. Initially I poured over the menu thinking nothing grabs me (again by the non too interesting description), but decided to have a leap of faith and opted for the "Frozen Yoghurt with fruit bits circling the round centrepiece". It was OMG to die for. It was so good that I licked it up to the last drop! I am so not sharing this plate. In fact days after I left the dining place, I was still thinking about my dessert. Its light, with the right touch of sweetness. It was one of the best finishes to round up a hearty meal for a long time. (The other dessert with mandarin sorbet was equally good!)


All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable meal and it definitely deserves it one chef hat!

No comments: